Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sketchbook Sunday, Part The Ninth

Not much today, so I might leave the post jump-less. I'm living on the edge! I'm starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel, so here's a couple of really weird ones.

This one's pretty old, you can tell from the botched perspective on his eyes. I wanted to comeu with a really random superhero, so I thought of all the disabled super heroes, (Professor X, Daredevil etc) and came up with King Cobra, the double amputee avenger! He has no arms, you see... The guy below him is his archenemy, The Mongoose. I like his headpiece.


My attempt at a Space / Western design. I really like how it turned out, although I might have bitten off more than I can chew, as I've never been able to finish it right. I really like the shoulder pads.
Uh... yeah. I actually did this one today. I gave myself a challenge to draw the most ridiculous and impractical space helmet I could come up with. I think I succeeded! Man, it looks weird...

Movie of the day: Ben Hur. I feel ashamed, I honestly had no idea that this movie was about the Messiah. I just knew about the chariot race, and that was it. Well, technically it's more about the protagonist, but Christ figures pretty majorly into it. Man, as a film buff I really should know these things... That aside, this is pretty much THE epic picture. Everything is so big and breathtaking, from the sets to the costumes to the action beats (the chariot race is astounding. It deserves it's place in the public consciousness). The only thing I felt was underwhelming was the music, and that's only because there wasn't anything really hummable in it like in say LOTR or Spartacus. Aside from that, you can see clearly why this film won 11 oscars. Just prepare your posterior for a lot of sitting

Song of the day: Gotta Knock A Little Harder by Yoko Kanno Featuring Mai Yamane. I've aways been a fan of both Yoko Kanno and Yamane-san since Cowboy Bebop, and this song is one of their best works. I find it fascinating that Mai has absolutely no accent when she sings. I like the gospel vibe, it fit the movie well.



0 comments:

Post a Comment