Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Darkness Has Passed

Ugh, I absolutely hate leaving this blog to the last minute... but hey, sometimes it just happens that way.

It was actually pretty awesome yesterday, for the most part: You ever have that kind of  run of inspiration, where you suddenly get idea after idea after idea? That was pretty much me after getting the go ahead for adapting the concept for my short film. Fantastic, I haven't felt like that in a while. Don't worry, I'm still working hard at Pokemon 3, it's just been difficult lately because Jess and I are preparing for the one single nerd convention that my city holds, the Armageddon Expo. Here's some info:

http://armageddonexpo.com/nz/christchurch-ticketing-info/

She's selling homemade MLP merch and art commissions, if you're in the area, stop by and say hi!

That's this weekend, so after this week I begin hard core editing mode and bring you guys exactly what you want, hopefully before the end of that week.

In other news, I tried the demo for the new Yu-Gi-Oh game on the PSN, just to see if I could still play. I actually did fairly well, although I did make some bonehead moves due to forgetting that the battle system doesn't work like MTG. From a technical standpoint it's sound, except for one major fun-killing flaw. When  you place a trap card down, a dialog box pops up to ask if you want to activate it whenever an opportunity to do so occurs. This is fine, sensible and useful. HOWEVER, the default option is always 'yes'! This is really poor design! It ruins any kind of streamlining it would have because you want to just skim through the dialogue boxes until you get to the one you want, but having to press an extra button each time gets really annoying, really fast. I do like Yu-Gi-Oh (liked it before The Abridged Series, even!), but after being introduced to MTG it just seems sub-par and needlessly complex. Just my opinion!

Movie of the day: Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs. You know how Doug said that Kung Fu Panda was the ultimate Don't-judge-it-by-it's-cover movie? Although that is a good example, this one's mine. It looks stupid and kiddy and dumb and stupid and childish and stupid, but it has great heart, a unique focus (the life of the citizens of a small town just as much as the protagonist) and some of the most brutal and hilarious slapstick I've seen since Looney Tunes. It also has Mister. T voice acting. Watch it.

Song of the day: The Dragonborn Comes by Malukah. You might know this one from the recut of the live action Skyrim trailer all over youtube, but this is a cover done right, keeping the tone of the original while adding a new perspective. Plus it's two, two, two songs in one!

1 comments:

PLN9FOS said...

Good to see that whatever block (as it seems to have somewhat sounded like from the past entries) has lifted, Suede; it really is shocking how something like that can have devastating side effects at times.

While I don't remember all that much from the film of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, I seem to recall it as being enjoyable. The biggest problem that I had with it was that it didn't seem to have any faithfulness to the book besides the basic premise. I always loved how with every image in the book, even during happy moments, everything looked incredibly bleak and lifeless despite the tone. I would have liked to see them try that with the movie, especially after the first portions of WALL-E showed that such a setting can be done well in animated films. Now I am eager to hear how they will justify (story-wise) the recently announced Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2.

Post a Comment